Friday, June 22, 2012

4/21/12 - Rounding the corner

Now as much as I am grateful for everyone at Providence, the ol' cancer ward is just not an uplifting place. However, when I get there in the morning, I'm glad to know that at least John has the most cheerful room.
Photobucket
It was just happenstance last time that we had gotten back from Mexico and I had all of the pics from the underwater camera and hung them in his room. It ended up being awesomer than I thought. This time I planned ahead and printed a bunch of good ones to remind him of the greatness of our life awaiting his recovery. I arrived this morning to less progress than I thought I'd see and was surprised the nurse hadn't done everything we'd discussed the day before. Once we did, he had improvement within the hour. It turned a frowny face into a sleeping face and then a smiling face! Photobucket We were promoted from a clear liquid diet to a full liquid diet, which includes pudding. This was a success. We took a couple walks and then he had a great nap. After that, an honest to goodness shower. Now, we traded tasks of one of us holding his wound drain and one doing the washing, but it was still a shower and I think that's better than medicine for one's well being. After his shower, he took advantage of the upgraded menu and had me get him a coffee (a real one from a very strategically placed Starbucks). As with all us Portlanders, the coffee turned on his magical powers and we rocked another great walk, probably his best yet.  There was some tomfoolery with the back of his robe after this, but I'm trying to keep this a SFW environment, given that a fair number of our audience includes co-workers.
Photobucket
Now I am a good wife, but I had to get out and grab a little of that sunshine for myself, so I headed out at 5 for a jog around Mt. Tabor and a little bit of vacuuming with the windows open (oh, do I know how to party..) Since I knew that John wouldn't be off his IV today, and therefore not able to get any of the sunshine on his skin, I tried my best to bring it to the room. Photobucket
High hopes for some real sunshine tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's support and prayers and thoughts and good vibes. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment